Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Raw Brownies

I got this recipe from The Rawtarian.

I managed to score some medjool dates for only $5/lb (!) so what better to make with dates than raw desserts?



Ingredients:

1/2 C cashews
1/2 C walnuts
(You can also use 1 C pecans instead, but they are more expensive so I didn't have any)
1 C dates (about 10 dates)
5 Tbsp raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
4 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp raw honey (if all you have is normal honey then use that and be not ashamed ;))
1/4 tsp salt

1. Process nuts in a food processor until fine and crumbly.

2. Add dates and process until fine.  It can be hard to find good dates, but health food stores usually carry them.  If you find them whole take care to remove the pits first!


3. Add remaining ingredients and process until mixture begins to stick together. Press into a pan, and refrigerate for at least 30 min.




As with all raw desserts that use nuts, the calories and fat can add up fast.  The good thing is that it's healthy fat, however, if you are watching your calories you'll want to eat only a bit of this at a time. I divided this into 12 equal portions, which comes out to about 165 calories per brownie. These are deliciously rich and chocolaty, so a little goes a long way.  It's also much easier to feel satisfied with one portion of these brownies than it would be if you ate an entire chocolate bar.  Plus, no sugar rush!  I like to freeze my raw desserts so that I can have something ready and waiting for me when a craving hits. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment